Sunday, July 16, 2006

Singing on the phone

wouldn't be recommended for the best singer in the world, given the quality of the average phone line. For the rest of us it's something best eschewed completely.

It was, nonetheless, a pleasure when the phone rang a couple of weeks ago. Unknown number in the display and I damn near didn't pick up. Fortunately I did, to hear Heino singing 'Happy Birthday to you' as unmelodiously as that tune is always sung. A day late my time, two days late his time, but who am I to complain?

One returns a favour when one can. Thus it was my pleasure to call Heino today (Saturday) two days late my time, three days late his, and sing 'Happy Birthday to you' right back at him!

Laughter and the obligatory mmmmaaaaaaaatttttteeeeeeeee! :-)

And so the conversation proceeded. We have a 'schtick' we go through. How's it hanging? All the way to the ground! Leaving furrows? And so on... It really doesn't matter who asks the questions or who gives the answers :-)

It works for us!

That out of the way we got down to more serious stuff. It was about this time that I became aware of some strange sounds in the background. I didn't have to wait long for an explanation.

You see, I'd called during that time in Heino's morning when certain functions must be performed and, rather than do the polite thing and leave me hanging on a silent phone for five minutes he'd taken it with him to the smallest room in the house!

Much laughter a couple of minutes later when his wife yelled 'Heino! That's disgusting!' after she realised what was happening.

You know you're talking with a best mate when a little thing like the need to take a crap doesn't get in the way. That said, next time I'm in Australia I'm definitely not accompanying him to the smallest room! He's on his own!

No comments: