Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Squash Courts

when I was about 5 years old my mother used to take me to Williamstown Beach. We had no car in those days; so we took the bus along Barkly Street to Geelong Road and changed to the Williamstown bus which went down Williamstown Road and Melbourne Road. At the corner of Ferguson Street there was a squash court.

I knew what squashing was and I'd recently heard about court (doubtless my father on a charge of drunk and disorderly). I remember the visceral fear I felt when I saw those two words together; Squash Court. Surely they didn't squash people, did they?

This is as good a place as any to slip this nugget in. At the same beach two years earlier I won a beautiful baby contest. Yes, I was judged the most beautiful baby of 1957! My picture appeared on the front page of the Sun newspaper. All I can say is that if I won there must have been some butt ugly babies around!

No comments: