Thursday, March 24, 2005

After three days

I finally get to spend some time testing the stuff I came to Dallas to test. Uh huh, you guessed it; when I got here another crisis had arisen that required, nay, demanded, my immediate attention to the exclusion of everything else.

Which leads to a quandary. I'd planned to spend up to 4 days testing my changes and, as you'll remember from previous posts, I had to juggle flights to finish before Good Friday. With 3 of those days spent working on an 'emergency'* I now have to decide whether to be satisfied with the results of one days testing or not - assuming the best case scenario that the new software works first time. One of the customer employees has offered to be my escort on the customers premises on Friday. If I take that option it'll be the sixth public holiday in 9 months I've sacrificed!

So a part of me says come what may I'm on that plane out of Dallas and back to Phoenix tomorrow evening. Another part says I should delay my return until I'm at the necessary level of confidence that my changes are correct. I'm leaning toward spending the extra time. Of course the fact that Chris Austin ( with whom I dined on Monday night has invited me to a weekend 'do' might also be a factor .

*I quoted the word emergency because the people squawking have been happily using our system for more than 6 months in production and only now, with no change, are they screaming about missing functionality. Whilst I can understand their need for the functionality I don't understand why all of a sudden it's become a showstopper.

No comments: