Saturday, March 05, 2005

Battle lines part 2

I was home today by about 4 PM. There was no visible sign that Andrew had done anything about his room. I didn't check it as such but from what I could see from the bottom of the stairs it still bore a remarkable resemblance to a disaster site.

So I went and took a nap. About 6:30 PM I awoke and the house was empty. So I sneaked a look at his room and, I have to say, never has my flabber been so gasted! You could almost have eaten a meal off that floor. He and Mum got home about 15 minutes later; I said nothing. At 7 PM I did the big inspection. Yup - he'd missed a few spots; the broom was hiding behind the door; the Windex bottle had been forgotten but overall it was a credit to him.

I don't know what to make of this. Is Marc wrong? (I suspect not). Did Mum help? She swears she didn't but I am, after all, the wicked step-father .

Only time will tell. Andrew was grinning from ear to ear; he seemed pleased he'd amazed me. Mum keeps telling me he values my good opinion but I'm not sure I believe that! I suppose I should be wary of seeing my opinions and feelings about my step-father in him. Nonetheless, tonight he had my good opinion and I made sure he knew it.

No comments: