Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A floor covered in money

I wish.

At the end of 2002 I, as a newly arrived immigrant, and my wife, went to Las Vegas. We got there on December 29th and stayed until January 3rd 2003. If you're willing to suspend disbelief and you're staying on 'the strip' it's a fun place. We stayed at the Excalibur and all the places you see in the movies are within half an hours walk. Not half an hour at my usual speed either; but half an hour at a snails pace!

I'd never before been in a place where it's perfectly acceptable to grab a glass of wine in one hotel, wander out into the street and end up in another hotel, glass in hand. Never been in such a place since if it comes to that!

So came New Year 2003. We started the evening at New York New York - a credible if somewhat smaller (and much cleaner) copy of Manhattan. As an aside, lots of FDNY tributes and lists of names from 11/9. Some wine was consumed so forgive the vagueness of what follows . We ended up at a bar where they were playing covers of late 60's flower power music. Suited me - I was in my early teens then and it was a trip down memory lane.

Sometime later (and you have to understand that it was becoming more and more vague as time passed) we started playing the slots. I play the slots maybe once a year and usually for no more than 20 bucks. So it was that night. Along the way we hit the jackpot and won about 100 bucks; paid out in quarters! So here we are, somewhat intoxicated and holding a plastic cup containing about 400 quarters.

Next morning we awoke to find about 400 quarters strewn over the floor of our room. Riches beyond the dreams of avarice!

No comments: