Monday, May 23, 2005

Some things are older than you think!

Last night I watched and immensely enjoyed Call Northside 777[^]. Not the first time I've seen it by any means; it used to crop up regularly on late night TV in Melbourne in the 1970's and 1980's. The Phoenix Public Library has a copy which is how it came about that I watched it last night. One of the better movies James Stewart made in the 1940's.

There was one thing that intrigued me. There are lots of scenes set in a newspaper office and one thing I noticed right away was that some of the actors were drinking coffee out of paper cups that looked suspiciously like those cups one gets at Starbucks. I honestly hadn't realised those kinds of cups were quite so old. I certainly don't remember them in Melbourne in the 1960's and, as I'm sure you know by now, I have a memory for that kind of trivial detail.

*shrug* maybe I'm wrong or maybe it just took 20 or 30 years for such cups to make their way across the Pacific Ocean. It was nothing unusual, in those days, for a new movie to take anything up to 2 years to find it's way across.

No comments: