Tuesday, May 03, 2005

How embarassing

They've been running 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King' on Star TV here in the Philippines the last few days. I stumbled upon it by random flicking of the remote control during one of the extended battle scenes. I've seen the movie a few times so I paid it half attention; the other half being given to working on some code in VS 2003.

About half an hour later I suddenly realised that the movie wasn't presented in English. I don't know which language, Japanese or Chinese? Wasn't Tagalog!

Reminded me of the time in mid 2002 when a friend, having travelled to Thailand, brought me a copy of 'The Lord of the Rings; The Fellowhsip of the Ring' on a pirated set of VCD's. The video quality was quite good; much better than I expected. But what amused me was that the dubbing, in Thai, was done using the same voice actor no matter who the character. Male or Female, Elven, Orcish or Dwarvish; didn't matter!

No comments: