Thursday, February 10, 2005

It all sounds very attractive at first

world travel on the company dollar. But after a while it gets old. Actually it doesn't take that much of a while. When I first walked into my room at the hotel in Nice 3 and a half weeks ago the thought that went through my head was 'so this is my home for the next fortnight'.

If you've found yourself doing this you'll know what I mean. You get to the point where you can't even remember what your room number is; is it 518? No, that was last week. 1017? Nope, that was yesterday. 436? No, that was last month.

I think I'm just depressed because last night I was staying in a pretty nice hotel and tomorrow night I'll be back there. Tonight? They had prior bookings to honour so I had to find somewhere else to stay for this one night. By comparison this place is depressing - but I've always thought that hotel rooms where the lights are pedestal lamps (rather than ceiling lighting) are depressing. It's just a trifle too dark here. The restaurant sucks and, to top it all off, I'm in a non-smoking room! The only place in the whole damn hotel you can smoke at is the bar and that carries it's own risks .

Ah well, it's just one night.

No comments: