Tuesday, February 22, 2005

For a brief moment

I thought I saw light at the end of the tunnel; namely that I could go home. Alas it was not to be. Not, you understand, that Dallas is all that bad a place to be but it's not home is it?

Without going into too much detail (now that's a change for me ain't it - but given that this page is findable from Google I really don't want to say too much) various events occurred today that lead me to believe it would be a waste of the next 3 or 4 days of my time to remain here. So I presented my case quite succintly I thought; it's going to cost you bastards about US$500 to keep me here for those three days; a return ticket to Phoenix will cost you about US$300; do the arithmetic!

Ah, they countered; you'll be travelling back Tuesday and possibly returning on Friday. For those two days we lose your productivity. It was about this time that I shot myself in the foot. Oh no, said I, I won't be returning on Friday. Monday will be soon enough! Now you have to understand that we're working on the customers site and they'd prefer we weren't there on weekends. So if I travelled back on Friday I'd be just in time to spend 2 days not working whilst occupying a hotel room at company expense. Wouldn't any reasonable human being with a modicum of intelligence do the arithmetic and realise that flying me back tomorrow just might be the best balance of company dollars and employee satisfaction?

Uh huh. I knew you'd see it my way.

No comments: