Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I aint doing that again anytime soon

unless someone holds a gun to my head! :-)

I hadn't realised quite how many internal links I had from posts to previous posts; all of them needing to be updated to point to the correct post on the mirror. Some smartarse will probably tell me that if I had used 'XYZeds super blog mover' it would have been automatic (I'm looking at you, Vern! :-) ) but I'm not sure anyone could have easily translated http://blogs.wdevs.com/ultramaroon/archive/2004/12/02/1345.aspx into http://robmanderson.blogspot.com/2004/12/air-travel-and-state-oddities.html.

A most apposite choice of example as that turns out to be the post I've most referenced in later posts; I must have a fetish about Dallas! How appropriate then that I'm going to Dallas again this week for a one dayer; flying out Thursday and returning Friday. I get to experience for the first time the brave new world of liquidless travel!

The only edits I made to posts on the mirror were to change early links to use the CodeProject style[^] that I started using a year or more ago. You reckon I've memorised the html syntax for that? Heck no, I created a dummy post over on CP, inserted a link, copied it to a text file that lives on my desktop.

I resisted the temptation to post edit; as I think I've said before, once I post it I don't go back and change the meaning though I may occasionally correct the more glaring grammatical or spelling errors. Once posted it stands even if I change my mind about something afterward.

One post didn't make it to the mirror; this one[^]. Two reasons; the first is that it makes no sense outside the context of Wdevs[^] (and not much more sense within that context :-) ). The second reason is that I couldn't make the table look right. I'm no html expert.

I'm still deciding whether to hand post all responses; it'll be another week of work and, unlike primary postings, blogger doesn't seem to allow adjusting of the time and date of comments. It'd look very strange for a post from 2004 to have a comment dated 2006 and then a reply from me made, via primary postings, dated in 2004.

I may have mirrored but, as long as Wdevs is alive and kicking and as long as I'm welcome to post there I'll always think of Wdevs as my primary blogging home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that if I ever had to do what you've just done I'd spend that time writing software to do it for me. How much time did you spend doing that? And given that amount of time, do you think that you could have written something in C++ that would have done the job for you?

Anonymous said...

I can think of a few tools off hand that would've worked...

Yes, I know you already assumed so with your comment...

Here's your table;
<table cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="300" border="1">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="width: 137px">Blogger</td>
<td style="width: 52px">Posts</td>
<td>Visits</td></tr>
<tr>
<td style="width: 137px">leppie</td>
<td style="width: 52px">221</td>
<td>21337</td></tr>
<tr>
<td style="width: 137px">Colin Angus Mackay</td>
<td style="width: 52px">123</td>
<td>10814</td></tr>
<tr>
<td style="width: 137px">Moi</td>
<td style="width: 52px">716</td>
<td>10620</td></tr></tbody></table>
<p> </p>
<p></p>
<p>It looks a whole lot worse when you see it as views per post: </p>
<table id="Table2" style="width: 384px; height: 99px" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" width="384" border="1">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="width: 137px">Blogger</td>
<td style="width: 52px">Posts</td>
<td style="width: 51px">Visits</td>
<td>Views per Post</td></tr>
<tr>
<td style="width: 137px">leppie</td>
<td style="width: 52px">221</td>
<td style="width: 51px">21337</td>
<td>96.5</td></tr>
<tr>
<td style="width: 137px">Colin Angus Mackay</td>
<td style="width: 52px">123</td>
<td style="width: 51px">10814</td>
<td>87.9</td></tr>
<tr>
<td style="width: 137px">Moi</td>
<td style="width: 52px">716</td>
<td style="width: 51px">10620</td>
<td>14.8</td></tr></tbody></table>