Sunday, September 25, 2005

I've been a bit slack

of late in the blog. Not that I've run out of ideas, more that for the last week or so I've been busy living life rather than writing about it. I've also been away from an internet connection but that normally doesn't stop me writing each day and posting in blocks. This time, even though I had the laptop with me, I just wasn't writing.

Heino and I relaxed down at Philip Island. This is a small island somewhat to the southeast of Melbourne. Hard then to explain why it has such British placenames as Cowes, Rhyll and Ventnor. We even do the old gag

*drum roll*

What's brown and comes steaming out of Cowes?

The Philip Island Ferry!

*boom boom*

I ran that gag past Andrew a couple of weeks ago; his response before he heard the punchline indicated a distaste for the natural byproduct of steak and milk manufacture. His response after the punchline tells me I need a new gag writer!

Three days of lazing around. Well, Heino lazed around; I went for walks. Wore myself out yesterday doing a 12 Km walk on the beach. 12 Km's are nothing but this was on the beach; walking on sand doubles the effort I reckon. I returned just in time for some meat pies with tomato sauce and the AFL Grand Final.

The pies were fine but my heart just wasn't in the footbal match; when, just after the start of the second quarter, Heino hinted that some Aero bars[^] would be a good idea I was more than willing to make the trek to the supermarket to pick some up. (The fact that I wanted to buy some wine was merely incidental to my willingness to accomodate a best mates desires).

When I returned the second quarter was over and they were doing the usual filler material. By the start of the third quarter my interest in the game had dropped to an alltime low and I went for a nap, thus missing the 'thrilling' climax of the game.

I record here that the Sydney Swans won the match. Not the South Melbourne Swans; when the team moved north in 1982 they stopped being a Victorian team. But everyone here's so desperate to put one over on the West Coast that they're claiming it as a South Melbourne victory.

No comments: