Saturday, September 10, 2005

Suck it and see

Which is an Australian expression meaning to give something a try.

Doubtless, in your nonage, you looked at a toilet with a toilet roll holder conveniently placed on the wall at exactly the correct place for the paper to feed smoothly into the bowl, and wondered, if I wad enough paper and flush, will it unwind the roll? I did wonder, and I tried it, at the Footscray Public Library in 1965.

I'm sorry to relate that it doesn't. No matter how often you flush there just isn't enough flow to completely unwind a 400 sheet roll! By dint of much flushing I did manage to wind down to the cardboard roll inside but I reckon it would have taken 20 flush cycles in total. I'd reached the final flush when there came a stern rap on the door and the librarian inquiring 'are you ok?'. It seems that she'd noticed many flushes with no emergences. Of course I didn't want to admit to vandalism of even such a minor thing as a dunny roll. Some quick thinking got me off the hook; I confessed to diarrhea. Sympathetic glances as I beat a hasty retreat outside.

I'm reminded of an enquiry on usenet during the Win95 beta trials. Someone wanted to know if visual C++ 1.5 worked on it. Fool! Why not give it a try was my reply. Although I didn't use the word 'fool' in my response.

No comments: