Sunday, September 18, 2005

In heaven

In short, g'day y'all from Australia!!

It's been cold blustery rainy sunshiny weather, exactly what one would expect in Melbourne in September! Why is it, I wonder, that I always forget that most of the rest of the world is colder than Phoenix? Just about every time I've flown from Phoenix to LA or to San Francisco I forget to take a warm top and I spend the wait for the next flight shivering as I smoke.

It was, of course, worse when I arrived in Melbourne a mere two weeks into the southern Spring though I lasted longer than I thought I would before diving into the suitcase for my Manny's Beach Club windcheater, bought one cold evening at Puerto Penasca, Mexico!

I'd long planned that when I emerged through the doors into the waiting area at Tullamarine, to find Heino waiting, I'd grab a pair of underpants from my pocket and put em on my head. Which I did! Got quite a few amused smiles from the others waiting for friends and relatives. Got a laugh from Heino too.

Out of the terminal and the first thing we did was light up! One of those moments.

My wife wants a count of how many times I, as passenger, go to the wrong side of the car. So far my count is zero and I'm not really thinking about it; it just seems to happen that I'm going to the correct side.

Of course my first meal here was Fish and Chips and mighty good they were too! It's not really fish though. What I had was shark and chips but we call it Flake. I understand that name originated many years ago to overcome the prejudice against eating sharks. Silly prejudice; shark is magnificent!

My second meal was roast lamb with all the trimmings. Roast potatoes, roast pumpkin (squash to the North Americans), minted peas, gravy and mint sauce. Followed by apple pie without cinammon!

No comments: