Friday, September 02, 2005

How sweet it is

So there I was tonight, at LA International Airport, waiting for my flight home to Phoenix. As an aside, what is it about America West Flight 36? When I came home from the Philippines in July I did the last leg on Flight 36 and it was an hour late. Same thing tonight. Maybe their computer system has a trap on my name?

Be that as it may; I was sitting in the gate lounge waiting for the flight when a rather attractive 20 something young lady collected her iced whatever it was at Starbucks right in front of me. She proceeded to the counter where they have the sugar, stirrers and such like. I might well be married but I'm still allowed to look!

As one does when scanning an attractive backside one lets ones gaze wander somewhat; there's not much worse than watching a 50 something fixated on a backside no matter how cute it is! And my gaze shifted to a young guy about her age standing close by. Gaze matched gaze and he smiled much as if to say 'oh, so you noticed her too!'. A raised eyebrow to indicate I had.

A little off to one side was another bloke; he'd have been in his 40's and, you guessed it, he'd also clocked her. Another grin and attention shifted back to the cute backside. Except that as time passed we all three of us started watching something about her with even more attention.

She was putting sugar into her drink. You know how it works. You pick up a sugar satchel, grab it on one corner, give it a shake to get all the sugar to the other end and rip the end off. She was doing three bags at a time. Not once, not twice, not even thrice! I counted 18 bags of sugar and when she'd finished she had about 2 centimetres of sugar sitting at the bottom of that cup!

20 year old, being closer to her both in age and linear measurement made some comment; she laughed, shook her curls out of her eyes and sauntered off toward gate 14.

We three exchanged glances and rolled our eyes; I did some hand motions indicative of someone bouncing off the ceiling.

Later, when I boarded the plane I had to pass by Mr 20. He grinned again and chanted, almost in a whisper, 'sugar, sugar'. We laughed!

No comments: