Monday, September 19, 2005

So boring it makes the drying of paint seem exciting!

Also known as the Brownlow Medal[^] count.

If you'd told me a year ago, or five years ago, or twenty years ago that one day I'd watch the Brownlow I'd have told you, peremptorily, that you had rocks in your head.

The same reply will be your reward if you suggest I'll ever watch it again!

On the other hand, when I'm on my deathbed I'll be able to say that I did indeed once watch it. I imagine I'll also regret the misuse of 3 hours of my life!

But one humours ones mates. Especially when you're enjoying a good dinner with people you really like. And even more so when they've welcomed you into the bosom of their home. Well, you know what I mean! Only a churl would refuse to particpate in the fun. I hope I'm not a churl!

It's part of the territory if you're in Melbourne in September to endureparticipate in the AFL Grand Final and all it entails. And, to my great surprise, I actually enjoyed watching the game between St Kilda and the Sydney Swans the other night. It helped that it was, initially, a close game and that this was the last chance for a Victorian team to make it to the final. Alas, they didn't win.

And now it's time for a confession. It's been my guilty secret for some years now that I watch the Grand Final. Heck, I even watched it last year when I was in The Philipinnes (it was broadcast live on ABC Asia Pacific). When Heino and I are being 'the lads' down at Philip Island this weekend I'll play the game of being uninterested but I'll watch with considerable interest. Shhhh, don't tell him! (And he'll NEVER read this) :-)

No comments: