Saturday, September 01, 2007

Analytics

Stealing an idea from Colins Blog[^] I logged onto my Google Analytics account for the first time in probably a year.

I can't help feeling, with a personal blog such as mine, that one is a bit egotistical having an analytics account at all. I can see where they fit into the scheme of things if it's a money making concern; otherwise it's sheer hubris. On the other hand, show me someone who blogs without an ego and I'll show you a liar!

Of course Colin had a different motivation to mine; he actually wants to see what people are searching for so he can write stuff other people might want to read! What a concept!

Over the last month I've averaged 18 visits a day. I reckon, to be severely honest with myself, that I have to drop that to 16 a day because two a day are me, here at home and there at the office.

I got all of 30 visits on August 2, which I reckon is click through traffic from Codeproject[^] on account of this[^] post which I also posted over on CodeProject.

August 22nd was also a bumper day, with 29 visits, but I'm buggered if I can see any reason why!

The mix of countries of origin is quite interesting. The US shouldn't surprise with a grand total of 434 visits. They also average the longest time per visit. Perhaps they're slow readers? :-) Joke, Joyce!

The UK and Australia are neck and neck second though the Aussies visit more pages per visit.

For the rest, well, there's a total of 46 countries, many with a single visit. Perhaps I ought not to be surprised that the lone Peruvian, Russian and Morrocan didn't hang around! The lone Bulgarian was a fast reader though; s/he visited 3 pages in a mere 1 minute and 37 seconds!

Well all of that's just so much bumfluff.

What fascinated me was the search page results. The single highest search term that brought people to my blog was MET CUST WOM[^]. I reckon that must be a common idiom with UPS delivery people and it must have puzzled many others. I'm pretty sure my comment on it didn't enlighten em one little bit!

And the second highest search term? Adams Ribs[^]. Guess I'm not the only M*A*S*H fan out there!

I'm still puzzling over this one 'voskoboinikov melbourne'. To be sure I did once have a cat I called Voskoboinikov[^] which explains the hit but why on earth was anyone searching for a Voskoboinikov in Melbourne (different link)[^]? That'll be one of lifes little mysteries methinks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On DotNetRocks way back in the early days they did a thing called "Google Weirdos" where each week they'd announce the weirest search phrase that brought people to their website.

Looking for my own weirdos I can't find anything as esoteric as DNR found. But, one person dis ask Google "who could i ask". Another person commented "i want my head smaller". Yet another was upset and stated "sod the tv licence"