Tuesday, September 04, 2007

So this is Houston

Yeah, I know, it would have been kewler to use some smartarse title like 'Houston, we have a problem' and then go on to invent one just so's I'd have something to write about. But as I don't have a problem that'd be just plain silly wouldn't it?

From all of which you'll have worked out that I'm in Houston tonight. Actually I'll be here until Friday. Though I've now been to Texas many times this is the first time I've made it this far south in the state.

They warned me it'd be humid but I swear I wasn't prepared for the reality. This is the first time I've ever seen car windows fog up on the outside. Came as quite the shock when I went to wipe the mist off and it wasn't on my side!

I'm in a non-smoking hotel (not that I can blame that on Houston, it's the entire North American Marriot chain, may they rot in hell!) so whenever I nip out for a smoke my spectacles fog up! Five years of Phoenix and I'd completely forgotten ones spectacles could do such a thing!

The drive from the airport was interesting. I quite surprised myself by successfully navigating to the hotel without once looking at a map. Well, that's not *quite* true; I did check out the route last Friday at the office but, that done, I managed on the ground without any further jogs to the memory. Granted, it was an easy route to remember. JFK Expressway to Beltway 8 West, just keep driving down there to the 59 freeway exit and there I am! I was too! But that simple route hides a myriad of lane changes to make sure I stayed on Beltway 8. US freeway/tollway designers sure do like adding and subtracting lanes!

Dinner was ribs of course!

No comments: