Thursday, July 21, 2005

Getting acclimated

We're into the warm now. Each day we're getting around the 108-112F (42-45C) range and the midnight temperature isn't far shy of 100F (39 C). I know the midnight temperature because I'm STILL watching MASH reruns when I'm at home and they display the time and temperature at the bottom right of screen.

Of course they don't specify exactly where that temperature is measured but I suppose we all accept weather reports for a region and behave as though the temperature were uniform.

That temperature range is a trifle higher than the usual range measured in Melbourne but not outlandishly so. As I think I've related previously, when I moved here my wife was convinced that the summer here would be more than I could cope with. And, in 2003, my first summer here, it was almost more but I'm a stubborn bastard and I wasn't going to give in and admit I was finding it a trifle too warm for my tastes!

But now, two years later, I find that temperature range quite comfortable. Phoenix people love to boast about how hot it gets here, always adding 'but it's a dry heat'. Indeed, two or three weeks ago they were reporting the humidity on the radio at about 3 or 4%, which certainly does qualify as dry heat. But according to weather.com[^] we're now at about 42% humidity.

So, as I say, I'm finding it quite comfortable and that's fully dressed. With a teenage step-daughter in the house that's the only way to be outside the shower :-) Indeed, I'm finding it so comfortable that, last week when I was in Baguio, eating dinner at the Verandah Restaurant, Baguio Country Club (which is, strangely enough, on the verandah of the building) I was shivering in temperatures I imagine were somewhere in the 65F (20C) range. Gawd knows how I'm going to cope in Melbourne, 2 months from now at the start of the Southern Spring!

No comments: