Monday, July 18, 2005

Begging for it

A couple of years ago I was standing in line at the local supermarket. Back then I had no job but my wife did so naturally it fell to me to do the cooking and shopping etc. No problem - I enjoy cooking though I fear I drove the family mad in my attempts to do Australian cuisine rather than American.

So there I am, standing in line and it comes my turn. The woman at the checkout was new to the job but about my age. She picked up on my accent and asked me where I was from. When I told her I was an Australian she said 'I hear it's pretty primitive over there.' Sigh...

I make no apologies for what I said next; some people are just begging to have their legs pulled. I said 'yeah, we only got electricity last year.' She nodded sagely, secure in her belief that the USA is the best country on the planet...

No comments: