Wednesday, July 13, 2005

From a long way above the Pacific Ocean

I just discovered that Singapore Airlines provide 110 V AC power, at each seat, for laptops, during flight, at least on their Airbus A340/500 flights. Possibly not a discovery I should have been allowed to make! :-)

Because, having discovered this I feel like I just have to use it. You know the deal. If they put a big red button before you and the instruction 'do not push' you'd push it wouldn't you? Thus with access to power. Alas, this laptop, whilst otherwise excellent (it has a DVD burner and a great screen) lasts about an hour on batteries. It's not so much a laptop as a portable computer.

I've just had an excellent dinner. Yeah, it's airline food but it was about a thousand times better than anything served up in a fast food 'restaurant'. How very unnatural, then, to eat it in an environment where just ten centimetres away is a world completely hostile to mammalian life, passing by at about a thousand kilometres an hour.

Unfortunately, even though Singapore Airlines is progressively introducing internet access on their flights (doubtless at an inflated price) they haven't got it working on the LA to Singapore flight yet. I know, I tried and my wireless can't see an access point.

So I'm posting this from a 'laptop access' point in Terminal 2 of Changi Airport. Gotta hand it to the Singaporeans, they certainly know how to throw money at an airport to make it attractive to travellers!

No comments: