Tuesday, April 04, 2006

There's something wrong with the map

the one that shows visits to my blog, up there on the left.

Given that blogging is the ultimate expression of narcissism it shouldn't come as any surprise that I check the numbers. If it ever drops to 2 visits a day it'll be time to stop; I'll know that the only reader is google.

So one clicks around the map, only to notice a strange omission on the North America map. I think I have a reasonable grasp of the geography of North America, particularly of the United States. Show me a map and I can point to Orlando, Los Angeles, Chicago, Coeur d'Alene, Manderson, Montana and so on. Yes, there is a town in Montana called Manderson. I've been there! :-) Can do it almost as accurately as I can point to Cairns, Anglesea, Adelaide or Proserpine! Geeze, I can even recite the names of the states along the southern border in order though I don't do so well on the northern border. It helps the memory to have visited the places.

But there's something missing on the North American map. The Great Lakes! Don't take my word for it, go look[^]. Given that I find my way around a map of the Northeast via the lakes it's a sad loss. I can't even see the mitten, which would tell me I was looking at Michigan, from which reference point I could go west and pick Chicago.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, their map of Australia doesn't even pretend to show the state borders!

For the record, I paid for a 2 years subscription. If I'm still blogging when it expires, assuming I can come up with enough material, I'll renew; if not, not!

No comments: