Wednesday, June 01, 2005

It was 38 years ago today

Sgt Pepper[^] taught the band to play!

I've always had a love/hate relationship with The Beatles. Some of their music I've loved; much I've hated. If they'd stopped at Rubber Soul I'd have felt that they had a potential they never realised. For me they really started with Magical Mystery Tour and ended at Abbey Road. There are isolated gems at either end, Eleanor Rigby and The Long and Winding Road, but for me the Double White is THE album that defines The Beatles. Even it's not perfect; to this day I cannot stand Obla Di, Obla Da. Makes me want to throw something at the radio when that one comes on!

But I have great memories of racing down Mulhall Drive, St Albans, on my bike, transistor radio blaring Birthday at maximum volume (and unbelievable distortion). Excellent stuff!

No comments: