Wednesday, April 27, 2005

There's a story going around

to the effect that all Australians enjoy Vegemite[^]!

Rubbage (as my grandmother used to say). Yes, certain of my countrymen do enjoy Vegemite. Personally I've always felt that if you really wanted to spread the stuff that one would develop between ones toes if one wore the same socks for 3 weeks in a hot and humid climate onto hot buttered toast one ought, at the least, to be honest about it. I'm told that in Iceland a delicacy is fish buried for some weeks. The worse it smells the better it tastes. I'll give it a try if ever I'm in Iceland but that's because I'll try anything once!

No, I'm sorry to say that Vegemite has never appealed to me. Maybe it was because of the advertising campaigns which, to put it mildly, appeal to conformist tastes. If you're going to advertise your product as something every true 'fill in the blank' has to consume in order to be a true 'fill in the blank' you can already include me in the non-target group.

But I suspect it's really because Vegemite is truly vile. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd put it at about 12 million!

I took a jar of it with me when I moved to the US. I know how to spread it (very very thinly - this ain't peanut butter) but my American family proved their essential sanity by uniformly turning their noses up and rejecting it.

I've felt this way about it as long as I can remember so don't go blaming it on the Yanks!

No comments: