Friday, December 10, 2004

Kentucky Colonels

Some of you might have read my profile over on CodeProject and seen that I claim to be a Kentucky Colonel. Which I am. It has nothing to to do with the chicken!

So let me explain .

Way back in 1996 I wrote some software, used on MSN, to run trivia games on a chat server. (The software is MindProbe if you're interested - a google search will turn up some results.).

In 1998 I was running a game and a regular by the nickname of Arfur mentioned that he was a Kentucky Colonel. I, at the time, had no idea what this meant. I quizzed him and he offered to nominate me as one. I thought nothing more of it. So you can imagine my surprise when I came home one night in early December 1998 to find a large envelope from the Governor of the State of Kentucky on my doorstep. I was, at the time, still living in Australia so the return address certainly got my attention. To be honest, living now in Phoenix Arizona a large envelope from the Governor of the State of Kentucky would STILL get my attention .

Anyway I opened it up and discovered that I'd been made a Kentucky Colonel. What does this mean? It means that I've been recognised for my contribution to humanity. I'm not sure that writing a game program used on IRC channels really qualifies (especially when I learn that I share this honour with Winston Churchill and Albert Einstein) but I'll go with the flow. And I'm proud to have been nominated and accepted.

It turns out that my wife is distantly related to Governor Isaac Shelby of Kentucky, 1813, who started the original order. It was restarted in 1931 as a charitable organisation and yes, Colonel Harlan Sanders really was a Kentucky Colonel.

No comments: