Thursday, December 30, 2004

Bread smells

wonderful. Well real bread does. Wonderbread doesn't. Nor does Tip top (one of the brands of bread sold in Australia).

I have wonderful memories of french bread sticks bought at Highpoint Shopping Centre in Melbourne in 2000; likewise of the bread I bought at a small Vietnamese bakery in Sunshine, Melbourne on the morning of Christmas Day 1994. But none can compare with the smell of the bread served at the Texas Instruments cafeteria in Nice two weeks ago. You have to understand that there I was, sitting in a company caf with a plate of whitefish and someone put a basket of bread on the table. I've never been a bread man; it's always struck me as a waste of space; but there was this wonderful smell wafting over. Just the smell of that bread was enough to make me hungry. I did eat the whitefish but I enjoyed that bread much more. This was the first time I've ever eaten bread without some kind of flavouring; be it sardines, margarine, butter, concord grape jelly or golden syrup. And it was delicious.

No comments: