Monday, December 06, 2004

The joys of modern music

which title doesn't mean at all what you might expect.

I've just watched Fight Club - the closing credits, whilst nothing special, have an absolutely fascinating soundtrack. The song is "Where Is My Mind?" performed by a band called 'The Pixies”. Interesting guitar work. Interesting enough that I'll probably steel myself to visit the odd CD shop in malls sometime over the next week.

Anyway, it all reminded me of the time about 6 years ago when I heard a song by a band called Harvey Danger. It was in one of those ten songs in a stretch thingos, about the seventh song. At the end of the bracket on comes the DJ, breathlessly racing through band/title (or was it title/band) pairs (I never did work out which one it was). Anyway, at the end of the announcement I was no wiser than at the start. Can you imagine the strange looks I got when going into record shops asking for the song where one of the lines goes 'you cut off my legs, now I'm an amputee, goddamn you'.

The song was Flagpole Sitta. I'm sure you can see how I could confuse song title with band name .

Whilst on a tangentially related subject; I've been listening to classical music for 33 years now. I remember walking into Allans music, Melbourne, back when I was a smartarse 17 year old and asking for the score to Ilya Kuryakins 3rd symphony. Somehow it seemed funny at the time .

No comments: