Saturday, December 04, 2004

I just added the third movie

to my collection. Not, I hasten to add, the third movie in absolute terms, but the third of the three classic Russian movies dating from the 'thaw'. In the order that I like these movies they are:

curiously enough, they joined my collection in that order but that's purely by accident.

I caught all three of these movies on TV in about 1983 during a season of Russian movies run by SBS Australia (for those not in the know SBS Australia is the fifth TV network - the name is Special Broadcasting Service and it runs Multicultural stuff - and it is, in my opinion, the best thing that happened to TV in Australia ever). I taped em on Beta and just about wore out the tapes. Rather regretfully I left the tapes behind when I moved to the US - where was I going to find Beta players that could read PAL tapes and convert em to NTSC output? Imagine my delight when I discovered that all three movies were available on DVD!

I don't speak or read Russian and can barely understand one word in a hundred - so I watch em with English subtitles - but that doesn't detract from the pleasure I get from hearing the spoken language.

No comments: