Monday, May 29, 2006

Isms

The world is full of isms. From Totalitarianism to Republicanism to Catholicism to Capitalism to Antidisestablishmentarianism. Most of em pretty public and the source of much angst in one way or another.

Fortunately there's another kind of ism. Andrewisms are the most common; this is when Andrew says something really really dumb and only realises it after we've laughed at him. Tonights was when he opened the freezer and noticed a frozen chicken.

He's off to Boy Scout camp in about 3 hours from now - at 5 AM! Hey, I told you I was a night owl!

So he glanced into the freezer and said 'you're having pork while I'm away? What's up with that?'

Given that I went to the supermarket with my wife this arvo and I knew we had purchased neither pork nor pork byproducts I was a trifle puzzled.

'Are you sure you're seeing pork?' I asked. He assured us he was!

So I took a look and was forced to admit that that was the most chicken like pork I'd ever seen. Sheepish grin;

'I thought it was pork!' he said.

'Uh huh' I replied. 'When was the last time you saw pork drumsticks? Pork wings? Pork thighs and pork breasts? Come to think of it, wouldn't buffalo rashers be a good idea? Indeed I'd posit that what we're looking at isn't pork at all'.

I can lay it on thick at times :-)

We also have Morganisms though those are rather rarer. The odd Shelbyism and even a Sonyaism or two. Naturally there's no such thing as a Robism! :-)

Gotta hand it to him though; as sheepish as he feels after the event he doesn't hold a grudge against us for the laughter!

No comments: