Wednesday, May 24, 2006

HTPC

I've been watching a lot of old movies lately, mostly on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) though I have caught a few on American Movie Classics (AMC). They're both somewhat repetive - I despair of ever catching Robinson Crusoe on Mars[^] or The Adding Machine[^] on either yet they keep on playing 'The Silence of the Lambs' and 'Whatever happened to Baby Jane'. Both pretty good movies but is it possible to watch them a dozen times a year and not go insane?

Having two tuners in my HTPC (Home Theatre PC) means I've never yet had to resolve a conflict of desire about which program to record. I can have both whilst watching a third already recorded!

The move to an HTPC really changes the way one treats the idiot box. Instead of being a slave to it it becomes a slave to me! Some judicious keyword recording setup and suddenly it's serving up the James Cagney and Busby Berkely movies I want to see without me even having to check the program guide.

Heino uses his digital recorder to capture the news; it means he no longer has to push the envelope to get home in time and he can be relaxed when he does get home ten minutes after the news starts, knowing that he can catch up at leisure.

I have future recording settings in place in case a Byron Haskins movie ever crops up. If it ain't Robinson Crusoe on Mars I'll give it a five minute watch and either be drawn in or delete!

Life is good!

No comments: