Saturday, March 25, 2006

This is getting ridiculous

You know how I feel about meetings[^]. It was bad enough when it was just the one meeting a week. But now I discover, having finally fronted at the office today (Friday) after a three day break, that I've been nominated as a 'core' member of a trouble shooting team.

I won't go into the detail of what we're trouble shooting; that would be both longwinded and telling tales out of school. It doesn't really matter, for the purpose of this post, what the problem is anyway.

What galled me is the way things are expressed. We 'core' team members are required to attend daily crisis meetings held at 5PM and which may run as long as 3 hours. This team has been going for a couple of weeks now so it was fairly easy to establish that the 3 hours is a baseline. I think I got off lightly today; the meeting only ran for 2 and a half hours! The email I received announcing my nomination to the 'core' team started out with the statement that attendance was mandatory and went downhill from there.

I think you know me well enough to know that, having established with my boss that this meeting was a daily occurrence at 5PM, I told em not to expect me in the office before 11 AM. Gotta set some rules and stick to em!

The really interesting thing, though, about the problem we're trying to isolate is that the hardware guys think it's the hardware whilst I have a sneaking suspicion it's the software. There's a switch for you! Usually we point the finger at each other.

No comments: