Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A freudian slip

The other night, as I was waiting for my wife to arrive at the airport, I was partaking of a smoke outside. Smokers, in US airports, are almost a microcosm of the 'haves' and the 'have nots'. Those who've just arrived are the have nots; desperately seeking a light. Usually my role. This time, however, I was a 'have'.

So it was that a woman approached asking for a light and, having lit up, proceeded to tell me, for no earthly reason I could discern, that she was from Phoenix. Without even thinking I said, 'Really? I'm from there too!'. She gave me a strange glance as I remembered that I certainly don't sound even remotely from there.

So there you have it. After a trifle more than 3 years my automatic response, upon hearing the name Phoenix, is to say, 'I come from there!'. Now if we could only get rid of this inconvenient accent and turn me into a Republican!

Ain't gonna happen! :-)

No comments: