Monday, December 19, 2005

In the category of trivial wins

I remembered to print out my boarding passes for both flights tomorrow and, wonder of wonders, I managed to get group A for both of em. In the larger scheme of things this is somewhat akin to spending two bucks on a scratch-it lottery card and winning back your two bucks, but that's in the larger scheme. During those few minutes tomorrow when I'm focussed on getting onto and off the plane having group A will make all the difference.

For those unfamiliar with Southwest Airlines here in the US, they don't do allocated seating. Instead they do seating by group. One is either in group A (one arrived at the airport very early or printed the boarding pass the night before), or group B or group C. They board in that order and, once you're on the plane, it's a free for all. Grab whatever seat is available and takes your fancy. If the flight is full, and they usually are, group C passengers cop the middle seats. Whenever that happens to me I always seem to be in the back row jammed between two quarterbacks!

Some people take group A too far. There's always some sad bastard camped at the very head of the group A line who's been there for more than an hour, jealously guarding his position as first passenger on the plane. The more sane amongst us take a seat whilst we wait.

Of course coming back I'll be in group C both flights. I won't have the option to print out my boarding pass the night before.

No comments: