Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Yeah, I didn't believe it either

You'd expect that if I write the kinda stuff I write here relating some of the sillier things I've done that I'd also relate those stories over dinner. Which I do of course.

Tonight we were discussing some of the sillier fashions of todays youth and somehow or other I got into relating the stuff I used to wear back in the mid 1970's. I used to wear a top hat and tails. Well, to be honest, it wasn't a real top hat; I couldn't afford one of those, but it was a reasonable fake seen from a distance. I kid you not, I used to wear a tailcoat as everyday wear. I can't remember when I stopped; I suspect it was sometime around 1976 though I still had those tails as late as 1994.

What Andrew heard was something rather different. I said 'tail coat' and instantly he started with the old familiar ewww ewww. I thought not much of that; it's a common enough sound in these here parts. But in the spew of words coming out were some seemingly unrelated ones to do with cats. So we probed a little deeper. It seems that he thought I had once worn a coat made from the tails of cats.

Disbelief! He hadn't applied the most basic plausibility test. He knows I'm a big cat fan so one can only imagine what was going on in his head. Of course, I might have muddied the waters a little earlier when I mentioned the tombstone of Alice Cooper I stole from Williamstown cemetery and that resided in my room for a couple of years. I was younger then. A pretty poor excuse.

Oh, the tombstone was returned to it's rightful place though, strangely enough, I couldn't find it when I was last in that cemetery a couple of months ago. Methinks some other idiot has abstracted it.

No comments: