Thursday, November 17, 2005

Three years

Today was a mixed day. Most days are of course; it's seldom that everything goes exactly the way you'd like but, thankfully, it's also seldom that everything goes awry. And this particular instance of today was much like any other day; some things went well and nothing went particularly pear shaped.

But today is also the third anniversary of my leaving Australia and my third anniversary of living in the USA. For the most part it's been good though there have been bad moments. I always knew I'd go through periods of homesickness but periodic visits back home combined with this blog have helped immensely. The odd trip to France helped too; when I was a kid I never imagined I'd travel as much as I have.

On my first night here in Phoenix after the move my wife and I disappeared from view for a while :-) (We'd been married for half a year but living on different continents...). Morgan noticed, after a few minutes, that we were absent and called out for Mum. Mum answered 'we're in here'. We could almost see the penny drop!

And yes, I do still think of Australia as home. I'm not a visitor here anymore as my last visit to Melbourne showed me but deep down in the way that I think and see the world I'm an Australian no matter where I live. You can take the boy out of Melbourne but you can't take the Melbourne out of the boy!

No comments: