Sunday, November 06, 2005

The unexpected

If you've been following my writings for any length of time you'll have realised that my interests are not, perhaps, mainstream. Most of the movies I really enjoy, most of the music that excites me, even my preferred literature (late 19th century British). That's not to say that I can't enjoy other things; Shrek, The Lord of the Rings and Aqua's 'I'm a Barbie Girl'. But, for the most part, I'm happier in the more obscure reaches of Soviet movies, Minimalist music and long forgotten authors.

One thing I can't stand is Disney. I could launch into a diatribe but sufficient unto the day is the observation that I prefer my entertainment to be the sort that makes me think.

So today Andrew, my wife and I were playing Hearts on Pogo. Somehow the conversation veered into the forthcoming Harry Potter movie and I, having suffered through the first two, announced that they could go and see it without me. My wife asked me if there was any mainstream activity I was interested in. Andrew chimed in with a 'yeah'. I thought a moment and replied, well, yes, I DO like sex!

My wife laughed and Andrew went ewww ewww :-)

No comments: