Saturday, November 19, 2005

Waterfall

A few weeks ago we went visiting the Phoenix Museum of History[^]. Not a bad museum as museums go though I've seen better. I was fascinated to count how many members of the one extended family were named on the benefactors board; I counted 23.

As the name implies, it's a museum of the history of Phoenix though not just Phoenix; it tries to cover all of Arizona. I have to admit that Arizona seems to have it all in terms of natural wonders. Geologically it's one of the most interesting places I've ever been to. Culturally it often feels like a wilderness though the extensive collection of Russian Movies at the library helps a lot.

My wife and I were both intrigued by a particular photograph on display at the museum; a waterfall in Phoenix a hundred or more years ago. They gave the address, the north eastern corner of Indian School Rd and 56th street. Naturally, as it was but a minor detour from our route home, we went to see if it was still there. Actually, even if it had been 20 miles out of our way I'd have wanted to go see; the major river running through Phoenix, the Salt River, is a bed of sand most of the year and I wanted to see running water if such existed.

And sure enough, there's still a waterfall at Indian School and 56th. Whether the waterfall predates the canal I can't yet say though the history of the canal running through Phoenix interests me enough to want to follow it up. What particularly puzzles me is that the flow of water is from east to west; I'd assumed that the canal was funneling water from the Colorado River to Phoenix but if that were so then the flow would be the other way.

It's not just a waterfall anymore. There's a tiny hydroelectric power station there. The sign proudly proclaims that it generates the power for 750 homes in the area. Not much compared to the size of Phoenix but every little bit helps.

I didn't have my camera with me at the time so I went back last weekend to take some shots[^]. I was halfway through shooting when it occurred to me to worry that the security guy on duty might assume I was taking shots in preparation for some terrorist activity. I half expected the local SWAT team to descend and impound my camera. Such is modern paranoia!

No comments: