Saturday, October 22, 2005

One way to lose a friend

If you were around in the early 1970's you'll remember that 'streaking' became a new phenomenon. Streaking was the fine art of stripping all your clothes off and running naked through some public venue. In Australia it was usually a cricket match. Let's be honest here; few of us have the kind of bodies that would make streaking a pleasure for the witnesses; I certainly don't!

One night in late 1974 I was on my way home from ballroom dancing. Yes, I used to do ballroom dancing. Quite enjoyed it. There's something about dancing where one actually touches ones partner that is quite appealing. I enjoyed waltzing but the dance I most enjoyed was the Charlotte. Alas, at this late date I can't remember a single move of the Charlotte but I'm sure it would come back to me if I saw it danced again.

So that night in 1974 I was on my way home. I was the one with the car; thus I was the driver. Me and a couple of mates, one of whom was siezed with the desire, that friday night, to streak. We stopped not far west of the intersection of Ashley Street and Ballarat Road. If you know the western suburbs of Melbourne at all you'll be able to picture the location; close to the Eta factory and right in the heart of low income public housing.

Enjoined to pull over I did and we waited while my friend stripped. We promised to pick him up a hundred yards down the road. Out he leapt, naked to the world!

Need I say that we drove off and left him there? It seemed a great joke at the time.

No comments: