Saturday, October 08, 2005

None so blind

20 or so years ago I was married to my first wife Sue. I have to be careful because I gave her the URL to this blog last week when I was in Australia. We might have ceased to be married quite some years ago but neither of us can see that as a serious impediment to still being friends. Sue was the matron of honour at my second wedding and an honoured guest at my third.

Sue, being Sue, chose to take me to task about one or two things I'd written. As I pointed out, this is my blog and I write things the way I remember them. It's not impossible that she might write the occasional comment correcting me :-) I can live with that!

So anyway, 20 or so years ago I was also rather more than obsessed with computers and the writing of code. At the time it was mostly Z80 assembly language and I ate, slept and dreamed PUSH HL and MOV A, [IX] instructions.

My job at the time allowed me to work at home. I spent most of 1984 and 1985 alternating between the bedroom, the shower, the TV room and the computer room. Most time was spent in the computer room. In extenuation I did spend an awful lot of time watching this movie[^] but maybe that doesn't extenuate all that much!

So one morning Sue went to work. Her hair was brown. When she got home later that day I failed to notice a subtle change. I honestly don't remember if it was that day, or the next, or possibly even the day after that, that Sue found it necessary to point out to me that she was now a platinum blonde!

No comments: