Monday, October 03, 2005

A more innocent age

High on my priority list back in Melbourne was to visit all the places I knew so well. Saying that is rather like pointing out that the sun sets in the west; it was an obvious. I won't burden you right now with an exahaustive list; just the highlights. West Footscray. Flinders Street Station and the Royal Domain. The scene driving from Gisborne to Toolern Vale. You get the idea.

One of the things I wanted to see again was this[^]. The plaque is in Fawkner Park, named after one of the earliest settlers of Melbourne and they do indeed still play American Softball there on Saturday mornings. This was one of my daily walks at lunchtime in 1999. The US Consulate in Melbourne is maybe 200 metres away.

The other shot (alas somewhat blurred) is of a softball changing pavilion dating from around 1950. I can well remember seeing buildings such as that one about 1960.

In Melbourne in 1958/59 the most popular TV clowns with small fry such as myself were Zig and Zag[^]. Geeze, they were still going in the late 1980's and though I was way past hero worship of them they still held a special place in my heart.

One afternoon in what I fancy was the year 1959 Zig and Zag announced, on Channel 7, that they would be at Fawkner Park on the following Saturday. Being an enthusiastic 5 year old I raced from the TV set to Mum full of the news. Tripped and hit my chin on the edge of the table. I couldn't believe the amount of blood that shot from my chin. My grandmother and my mother both panicked but someone (I think it must have been my father in a rare moment of sobriety) took charge of the situation. A short visit to hospital later (during which visit I fancied (and I still remember it to this day) they stitched a bedsheet to my chin) and I was as right as rain. I didn't get to see Zig and Zag but I still well remember those ice cream cone hats they wore over the greasepaint. I still have the faint scar on my chin.

Zig erred in later life. For all I know Zag might have been a friend of my Uncle Keith in Changi Prison. But for a 5 year old they were important people and they earned their position by the standards that 5 year olds apply. They made us laugh and they made us feel that there was something outside the arbitrary rules that our olds imposed.

Rest in Peace Zag, and when you leave this world Zig, rest in peace too.

No comments: