Friday, January 07, 2005

So long and thanks for the Fugu

tonight we went out with our Japanese host. He fixed me with a glance and asked what I was prepared to eat. With only minor misgivings I admitted I'd try anything, with the only caveat being that I'd prefer my food be dead before it was served up.

So we ended up at a local restaurant where, once again, the menus had not one character I could recognise. I let our host (it was the host, myself and my boss) order for us. He asked if I drank - of course I do. Did I prefer beer or would I like Sake? I'd never tried Sake so of course I had to. Very enjoyable drink - I now understand why it's served warm. Just put some on your tongue, close your mouth and let the vapours rise. Wonderful!

The first dish was tame - prawns, oysters and fish cooked tempura style and very delicious it was. Then came the second course. Slices of chilled meat that looked rather like prosciutto. I tried a slice and it was only after I'd swallowed that our host informed me that what I'd just eaten was a local delicacy - uncooked, cured horse! It was very tasty! So tasty in fact that I finished the plate.

After negotiating that hurdle out came another dish - crumbed deep fried balls of something. Our host said - this one's a challenge. A dim suspicion arose - was this perhaps puffer fish? It was indeed and our host (enjoying himself immensely) described the licensing requirements for a chef to prepare Fugu. He also warned of the symptoms of impending Fugu poisoning. Somewhat gingerly I took my first mouthful. No sign of numbness of the tongue.

Along the way we also had Sashimi which I approached rather gingerly - the few times I've tried raw fish I've found it a profoundly unrewarding experience. But this was also delicious.

All in all - a very enjoyable and delicious meal. I don't want to know what it cost!

No comments: