Sunday, August 14, 2005

More magic

A while ago I wrote about the day Heino's second daughter[^] was born.

She's one cute kid let me tell you! Cheeky, bright, full of life. I get on pretty well with her. I've always had the knack of getting along with young girls. And, if you've read the previous post, you'll have noticed that she's just had her 11th birthday.

I rang to wish her happy birthday on that day. 1 AM or so my time, 6 PM or so her time. Fortunately she answered the phone. Not all that surprising really, many times when I ring Heino his second daughter answers. So I wished her a very happy birthday and we chatted briefly about this and that. Well, what does a 51 year old man and an 11 year old girl chat about for hours on end? Nothing if the 51 year old man knows what's good for him!

At the end of the conversation she asked if I wanted to talk with Dad. And I said no, I made this call to you to wish you a happy birthday! So we hung up.

I was on the phone to Heino today and I asked if she'd enjoyed the call. She had. And it seems that the thing she liked most was that I'd made the call to her and only her; not to her and then Dad. She felt special. Which she is. I had planned it that way. Heino and I speculated on whether she'd gone to school the next day and casually announced to her friends that she'd recieved a personal call from a friend in America. We can both see her having the chutzpah to do exactly that! :-)

I'm looking forward to renewing my friendship with her next month! She's a credit to her parents.

No comments: