Friday, August 05, 2005

A happy, giddy drunk

If I were to tell you that I enjoy a nightly drink you'd probably say 'well duh!'. If I were to tell you how much I drink you'd probably want to run the intervention routine on me. Indeed, yesterday at the office we were discussing drinking and I mentioned having consumed a whole bottle of wine at one time. The admission that I would or could drink a whole bottle of wine in a 24 hour period raised many eyebrows. On the other hand, this is America...

A couple of years ago, on a Saturday night, I was watching Barry Lyndon[^]. At 2 AM I was up to that scene where Lord Bullinger and Barry Lyndon have their duel. (Great movie BTW) And in walks Morgan with her friend Sarah. (Let's not get into the discussion of whether it's a good idea to let 15 year old girls wander the streets at 2 AM - I'm very conservative on that question).

This was the first time I'd met Sarah and, politeness personified, I paused the movie to say g'day. Of course, by that time, I'd had more than one glass of wine and Sarah, somewhat cautious, raised an eyebrow at Morgan.

'Oh, don't worry about Rob' she said, 'he's a happy, giddy drunk'.

I take that as a compliment. She has had experience with drunks who would not qualify for that description!

No comments: