Monday, August 08, 2005

If I'm gonna be blamed anyway

I might just as well be guilty!

I'm talking about teenage step-daughters and how it is that we olds are a constant source of embarassment; from our haircuts to our bellies to our tastes in film, music and art; and that old standby of teenage rebellion, rules.

You'll remember a couple of weeks ago how my wearing a hairnet rapidly escalated into my wearing a pair of underpants on my head. That was on Sunday at dinner. The following Sunday I sat down to dinner again and, when they least expected it, I said 'guess what day it is?'. 'Sunday' was the unanimous chorus. 'Yes,' I responded, 'but it's also underpants on the head day!', whipping said garment out and planting it on my bonce. A chorus of disapproval :-)

You'd think they'd remember wouldn't you? Because here it is, Sunday night again. Morgan announced that she and Sarah would deign to dine with us. So as they sat down to eat the apricot chicken I'd cooked I said 'guess what day it is'. 'Sunday' they chorused as aforesaid. 'And you know what that means don't you?'. Blank stares.

You know what followed. Sarah laughed herself sick while Morgan was mortified! Hey, I might just as well be guilty and have some fun along the way.

No comments: