Thursday, January 26, 2006

The legend of the Surami Fortress

This is another story that I wish was about Robin so it'd fit into the 'you bastard' series, but, again, it isn't.

If you've been following my blog at all you'll know that I like Russian films. Well not just Russian films, Eastern European films in general. I don't know why, I just enjoy them. That whole subtitle thing doesn't bother me; I just know I'm seeing something from outside of my culture. Perhaps it helps that they're not Hollywood.

So in 1987 the Valhalla Cinema added a Georgian[^] movie to their calendar. Just to be sure we're on the same page; this was Georgia, former Soviet Union state, not the US state north of Florida.

The movie is apparently based on a Georgian legend. I don't remember much about the movie since I only saw it the once, back in early 1988. IMDB lists the running time as 88 minutes but it sure felt longer than that! It managed to capture my interest for at least the first half hour, mainly on the basis that it was in an unfamiliar language. But it did drag and at the end I was relieved to leave the theatre.

A bit of a bummer but if you don't make the attempt you'll never find the gems. I find enough gems that I keep making the attempt.

In 1987, at much the same time as the Valhalla Cinema advertised this movie a young guy by the name of Adam joined the team at Hewlett Packard Australia. Nice kid and we became friends. I was rather less loath in those days than I am now to mix friends and work so it was natural that he was invited to one or two parties at my place. He fitted in better than I did! I was 33 and they were all late 19's going on 20. Don't go there! :-)

So armed with those two pieces of information what do you think happened next? I've seen a very boring movie and a young guy has joined the group. I hope it's as obvious to you as it was to me.

I took Adam to one side and told him he just HAD to see this movie. 'You won't believe the sex scene at the end.' I said. 'It may seem a trifle slow along the way but it's worth it!'.

Poor bastard believed me.

A few nights later a knock came at my door. I opened it and there stood Adam, dripping wet from autumnal rain. He took one look at me and said...

'You bastard!'

No comments: