Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Tonights dinner was Chicken Cordon Bleu. Methinks you might have guesssed that from the title.

Being Tuesday I'm already inured to the idea that I get home late from the office; those weekly phone conferences to The Philippines are *still* taking place; nearly four years of them! Thus I'm used to dinner being somewhat later than usual on Tuesday. Nonetheless, dinner seemed to be even later than expected tonight.

It turns out that Sonya, after following the instructions and cooking the Chicken Cordon Bleu aforesaid for the 30 minutes suggested on the packet, had cut into one and concluded from the red that it needed a little longer.

Ten minutes later she cut into a second one, saw some red and decided to cook it a little longer. How fortunate there were only four! By the time the fourth had revealed red she finally realised that Chicken Cordon Bleu consists of chicken wrapped around ham and cheese and rolled in bread crumbs!

I laughed heartily as I sawed through some very dry chicken! It was, somehow, partly my fault. I knew what we were having and I should have realised that some red was to be expected. But I'm so used to foods bearing familiar names not really being what I expect that the penny didn't drop.

No comments: