Saturday, November 06, 2004

You just never know

Yesterday I posted another article on CodeProject[^], about an encryption scheme I wrote 5 or so years ago for an IRC chat client and matching game software. I wrote most of the article a year or more ago but always felt nervous about publishing it. Why? A couple of reasons. The first is that I'm no cryptographer. I've read just enough of the literature on the subject to be completely certain of that . So there was a certain amount of diffidence about putting a simple XOR encryption scheme up for public scrutiny and ridicule. The second reason is that I take considerable pride in my involvement with CodeProject and am proud that most of my articles have high ratings. I wasn't convinced that this latest effort would rate all that well.

It's early days yet but the rating so far amazes me. 4.94/5 with 8 votes.

This brings up a whole bunch of philosophical issues. I've seen writers on CodeProject protest that they don't care what the ratings are. I've even indulged in that high minded sentiment myself at least once. But I don't really believe that. I write articles published on CodeProject because I want to share knowledge and experience but also because I want to show people what a clever bastard I can be . It's also a real pleasure when people write complimentary comments at the end of the article.

Ego? Of course. But why else would anyone other than Albert Schweitzer write 31 articles for no payment? And never underrate the power of constructive ego.

No comments: