Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Illusions

If ever I needed to be disabused of the idea that all the French know good food when they see it tonight was the night for it to happen. I pass lightly over the existence of at least two MacDonalds outlets here in Nice; that I can ascribe to tourist pressure. But when I see a French family tucking into steak and chips liberally covered in Heinz Ketchup I know it's time to throw in the towel and acknowledge that there goes another fond illusion.

Not that the chips are all that bad; they're far better than those sad things served in North America as 'French Fries'. I had some last night because I didn't know to say 'non, legume' when the waiter was asking me what I wanted to accompany my duck. It was quite the shock when those chips turned up. But if I want real chips I'll wait until I'm back in Australia at a fish and chip shop; those are chips!

No comments: