Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Greetings from Seoul

I got here in one piece :-) Brrrr it's cold!!! It's about 26 degrees F or, in civilised measurements, about -4 degrees and boy did I know it the moment I walked outside for that first smoke.

I'm in downtown Seoul, at the Holiday Inn Seoul. Wow, I thought Melbourne Airport was a fair distance out but that's nothing compared to the drive from Incheon airport to downtown. On my way out of Japan I think I'm going to stay at the airport Hyatt :-)

I've just had a wonderful grilled salmon at the Italian restaurant here in the hotel.

The flight was 'only' 13 hours but I thought it was never going to end. I've just had 18 hours of daylight - maybe that's why it seemed so long. It was interesting however, to crack the window shade and look down and see Japan passing by. As far as I could tell from the in-flight display we went right over the airport I'm returning to tomorrow morning, Fukukoa International.

I'm piggy backing on some unsecured wireless connection; by the time they realise what's happening I'll be gone and untraceable :-)

I won't get to see any of Seoul by daylight until Saturday; but what I've seen so far I like. They make no concessions to the English mono-lingual person - all the street signs are in Korean but given I'm travelling by shuttle to and fro that really doesn't matter all that much.

No comments: